Cumberland, RI, USA – January 22, 2015. SONiVOX (sonivoxmi.com)—a leading developer of music production software—unveils Tony Coleman Drums, an all-new
drum instrument for drummers, producers, and songwriters. Using a MIDI keyboard, electronic drums, or pad controller, users can access 10 Gigabytes of Tony’s firstcall blend of playing, timing, and touch to enhance their songs and performances.
Renowned for his work with B.B. King, Etta James, Buddy Guy and Albert King, Tony’s illustrious drumming was expertly captured over four days at the lauded Ardent Studios in Memphis, TN, using topshelf gear from the likes of API, Neve, SSL, Neumann, Fairchild, Vintech, DW Fearn, AEA, and more. Of particular note, select kick and snare samples were tracked to a Studer 827 2inch analog tape machine. Users will able to optionally trigger select samples with the highly desirable effect of tape compression. Complemented by a high definition audio engine, each sample translates the session’s mouthwatering realism
and detail to any modern digital audio workstation.
“I’ve done a lot of blues and soul records, and when it comes to drummers, Tony is the cream of the crop.” said project recording engineer Pete Matthews, “I’ve never been a part of a project with this level of detail, and in the end, we pulled out all the stops to replicate the nuanced playing of working in the studio with a real drummer.”
The recordings faithfully acquire Coleman’s maple Mapex Saturn Series kit, complete with hand-selected Sabian cymbals—each piece curated for his stringent requirements for definition, melodic capability, and tone. Drum parts can be adapted to any project by way of the instrument’s powerful editing and mixing capabilities. Users can adjust pitch, envelope, EQ, and filter settings for each drum or cymbal, bringing versatility to a wide range of song styles and genres. An all-new mixer provides perpart level, panning, and ambiance control—giving users the ability to tap into the coveted textures of Ardent’s worldclass live room. Postprocessing effects include compression, reverb and EQ.
“This new instrument brings an inimitable sound and feel to even the most modest studio,” said Jennifer Hruska, Vice President of Software Development at SONiVOX. “Tony was the perfect drum source, and incorporating Ardent’s collection of choice analog gear was absolutely magical. Our new audio engine is icing on the cake—close your eyes and you are there.”
“SONiVOX captured the way I tune, the way I play—it all comes across like Tony Coleman.” added Tony, “It’s really special to me. I’m honored and excited to be a part of this project, and musicians of all types are really going to enjoy it.”
Tony Coleman Drums Highlights:
- 10 GB of expertly captured drum samples played by Tony Coleman
- Recorded at Ardent Studios using topshelf analog equipment
- Select kick and snare samples feature analog tape compression
- Intelligent Rhythm Control corrects note timing without sacrificing authenticity
- All-new audio engine for uncanny realism in any DAW
- Comprehensive part editing; pitch, compression, filters, and EQ
- Professional mixer interface lets users dial in part levels, panning, and room ambiance
- Studio-grade master effects; reverb, compression, and EQ
- 64bit; VST, AU, and AAX compatible
Tony Coleman’s Kit:
- Mapex Black Panther snare (maple)
- Mapex Saturn Series 22x16 kick
- Mapex Saturn Series rack toms; 10, 12, and 13inch
- Mapex Saturn Series floor toms; 14, and 16inch
- Sabian 22inch AAX ride cymbal
- Sabian crash cymbals; 20inch Vault, 16inch AA, 17inch AA, (2) 18inch AAX, 16inch custom Ozone, 20inch Ozone
- Sabian 16inch AA hi-hats
Tony Coleman Drums will be available in AU, VST, and AAX formats in early 2015 for $199.99. The instrument, and many others from SONiVOX will be on display during Winter NAMM, booth #6700, in Anaheim, CA. For more information, visit www.sonivoxmi.com.
SONiVOX designs, develops and markets software technologies, products and applications for the creation and enjoyment of music. Founded in 1993 by industry veteran Jennifer Hruska, SONiVOX instruments are found in recording studios all over the world and can be heard in hit music, blockbuster film scores, and cuttingedge video games.